Friday, September 23, 2011

My birthday

Yesterday I turned 40 and it was definitely a big day, though not in the way I expected.  My 47 year old brother, Mike, had a major heart attack with near 100% blockage (I think he had what the cardiologists call the widowmaker).  The good news is that my sister-in-law is not a widow.  Though his heart is damaged, his spirits and sense of humor are not.

My dad had his first heart attack at 47 as well  He had another a couple years later, then finally succumbed to heart failure at 53.  Now my brother starts at 47 as well.  My brother and I both inherited our physical characteristics and bodies from our dad, so this is a wake-up call for me as well as for my brother.  We've both got to lose some weight and move more.  I'm on the right track, having lost 24 pounds so far, but I have a long way to go.  My dad couldn't break the hold his addictions (smoking, drinking and eating) had on him but my brother and I can change our eating.

One thing is clear... this can't just be a temporary goal.  I have to be in this for life.  To commit that once I'm at a healthy weight, I'll keep up the exercise my body needs to stay healthy, that I'll keep eating right so I can maintain some level of health so I can prevent these problems.

Yesterday was shot as far as exercise and tracking but given I was at the hospital all day I'm fine with how the day went.  One goal for the challenge that I've stuck with every day so far has been to only have one caramel frappe a day.  This is a HUGE accomplishment for me so I'm giving myself major props for breaking the habit of multiple frappes per day.

I'm still very worried about my brother as he's still at risk for a major cardiac event, but I can say I had a very happy birthday.  The best birthday present ever... my brother is still with us!

2 comments:

  1. First - Happy birthday! Second - I'm so sorry to hear about your brother's heart attack and grateful that he's still with you and your family.

    24 pounds is an incredible accomplishment and I am so inspired by your commitment to getting healthier. I'm sure you're finding (like I'm finding) that this is a slow process that will eventually add years and years of healthy living to our lives. Keep it up - you're doing SO well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sorry to hear about your brother - but what incredible positivity you have! ♥ Thinking of your family.

    ReplyDelete