Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Managing Expectations

Tomorrow is a big day for us as all four of us (me, Dave and our two five year olds - Kyle and Grant) are flying to North Carolina to spend a week with my friend Laura and her family.  We have to leave our house at 5 in the morning tomorrow so I am busily packing everyone today.  And since Dave is at the lake with the kids I've been doing it with the music plenty loud!

I've lost 10 pounds so far and I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that I might put some of that back on during the trip.  Mealtimes are going to be chaotic enough without me fretting about every morsel that goes in my mouth.  But then I need to decide not to fret about any weight gain.  This journey I'm on to lose this weight is a marathon, not a sprint, and I don't have to see the scale move in the right direction every single time I get on it; in fact sometimes it may move in the wrong direction, and that's just part of this.  I need to get fine with that.

I think I'm anxious for the scale to keep moving because I'm still so early in this path.  I've lost about 10 pounds, which is wonderful, but it's not to the point of me being able to tell in my clothes or in the mirror.  This vacation means it'll likely be August before I really start seeing changes.  I'm not trying to be negative, just being realistic, and talking about it helps me to accept it.  Being realistic and managing my expectations is going to help me manage any discouragement I may feel along the way.

I'll try to post tomorrow with my Burst Into Summer Challenge week 4 results but no promises since I'll be in NC! 

No comments:

Post a Comment