Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bad habits

This isn't going to be a traditional, pull-the-trigger one day and change my eating habits. No going on a diet here. I've done that countless times and all it gets me is more pounds. I'm not signing up to fail yet again. I'm going to make small changes over a long period of time. Exercise will be important but that will be added later; I'm currently dealing with a wound from surgery that is infected so that has me sidelined for awhile.
I don't plan on counting calories but I am going to mention them from time to time because I think it's important that I be mindful of them.

I've identified four habits that have become ingrained that I'm going to change first.
  • I eat an average of six Double Stuff Oreos everyday. That's 420 calories a day.
  • I drink a large caramel frappe from McDonalds about five times a week. That's at least 500 calories a day. 
  • I eat at least one but often two Zone bars a day, to the tune of 220 calories each.
  • I drink a Starbucks vanilla frappe in the bottle every day; that's another 200 calories.
It's no wonder my weight has literally exploded when I look at those numbers; my bad habits are adding almost 1,500 extra calories to my diet every day.  This is in addition to normal to higher-than-normal sized meals. Elimating these three habits are the first key to finding a healthier balance in my life. I've gotten rid of the Zone bars, Oreos and Starbucks frappucinos from the house so those are the first two habits to go. Now I've got to figure out what, if anything, to replace those habits with from a healthy snacking perspective.

Since today is Thursday, that's the day I'm going to use as my day to weigh myself. I'm not going to post my weight here but I will post any pounds lost or (horrors) gained.

Next step is for me to put into words my motivation for getting healthier. Why is this time any different than the dozens of others?

No comments:

Post a Comment