Thursday, June 23, 2011

Week one results

Simply dropping the junk out of my diet and adding some water in its stead resulted in a five pound weight loss over the last week! Remember that I was taking in an extra 1,500 calories a day in junk? In the last week the only junk in my diet was one caramel frappe.

I'm excited but pretty subdued. I know this is a honeymoon-type effect of omitting the junk and the weight isn't just going to keep falling off simply because my body is so happy to be treated better.

I've been waiting until my foot wound heals to start walking, but I'm sitting here looking at a perfectly good recumbent bike that could be used in the meantime. My goal for this week is to add the recumbent bike to my day at least a few days during the week. I'm going to wait until the picc line for the IV antibiotics comes out tomorrow afternoon before I even think about adding anything tht will make me sweat (and therefore make me need a shower which is quite difficult when I need to wrap my foot AND my arm).

I looked at my wound a couple of days ago and it looks like it's healing nicely so I hope the doc agrees. Our vacation to North Carolina is still set for a couple weeks from now, I just hope that I'll be given the green light to go swimming even though I dread with morbid fear the thought of showing my body to anyone, even though I'll be covered with a t-shirt.

I know that the remainder of my diet is due for an overhaul and that's causing me some anxiety I'm sure I'll post about at some point. But I'm not going to even think about my diet until returning from NC in the middle of July. That'll give me a good month where living without the junk food crutches, drinking more water, and incorporating some kind of exercise will take root before I add new stress of changing what I eat.

For today I'm just going to be proud of myself for what I've done so far.  Thanks to anyone who is following along!

2 comments:

  1. Mary Jo! 5 pounds is awesome! I'm so proud of you and inspired by you. I'm glad you hear that your foot is healing. Swimming will feel SO good to your body. I always have the embarrassing walk from the dressing room to the pool - but once I'm in the water, all my body image anxieties melt away. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the loss! The first week of purging your system of old habits is almost always a great loss and a huge motivating kick-start. It's good to see how your body reacts to being properly nourished and taken care of - enjoy that good feeling, and keep up the great work!

    It's strange to actually consider calories at first - it can be quite a shock to realize how many extra calories we take in without ever really thinking about it - especially with drinks! I gave up all non-water drinks in order to maximize my daily calories - when I get 1300 a day, I don't want to waste 200 on a drink that's gone in a few minutes! That could be a giant bucket of salad! haha

    ReplyDelete