Saturday, June 18, 2011

A bit different this time

This initiative to get more healthy is definitely starting differently than it has in the past, and I think the way I'm approaching things this time is promising. Historically I have tried to make a change by trying to alter everything. To go on a diet, drop all the bad habits, to start exercising, to change the way I feel about myself and so on. It's proven too much for me to tackle all at once, and for the first time I'm going to do this in manageable steps.

So far I'm still focusing on dropping the four bad habits I spoke of in an earlier post. I haven't tried to change the meals I eat yet. Dealing with the emotions involved in giving up my food crutches - the bars, oreos, the high-calorie drinks - is enough for me to deal with right now. The weather here in Texas right now is blazing hot, and when I find myself driving past Mcdonald's in the afternoon I feel a pull to stop and get my caramel frappe. I've resisted, and it's been easier than I thought it would be, but it's still hard.

Basically, I'm giving myself some time to get comfortable being without my food crutches. 'Im pretty happy with how it's gone so far, and proud of myself for how I've done. It's helping me a lot to write about this stuff and I'm sure that's part of the reason I've had such a good few days since giving those things up.

I've started drinking water in place of all the caffeine free Diet Dr Peppers I consume all day long and it feels really good. It's a small step but it's a good one. Tomorrow's task is to find some healthy snacking options and get some on hand for the week ahead.

1 comment:

  1. Giving up your "food crutches" is huge. For me, just that alone might keep me busy for months before I was ready to add other weight loss elements like exercise. You're going about this in such a cool headed and manageable manner. Go girl!

    ReplyDelete