Monday, June 20, 2011

The depression motivation

I've struggled with depression since childhood. Not the low-grade, ride-it-out kind of depression that many people deal with; it's the deep chronic kind that doesn't respond well to medication. This means that instead of one or two medications, I take four anti-depressants - a cocktail that is currently working to keep me minimally engaged in my life.

I even recently took the drastic step of having TMS treatments for the depression. TMS is an FDA-approved treatment that involves sitting in a chair for about an hour while a series of magnetic pulses zap a particular area of the brain. You do that five days a week for six weeks.  It is a huge commitment of time and a VERY significant amount of money and it is not covered by insurance. But I was willing to do it if there was a chance it would help my depression. I'm glad I did it because there has been a positive change, though it wasn't the dramatic impact I was longing for.

So many studies have linked poor diets to depression and it dawned on me as I was forking over all that money for TMS, that maybe I should try changing my diet as well. This was a daunting thought - less daunting than the TMS commitment - because I've tried countless times to lose weight to no avail and then I just end up feeling more depressed because I failed. But I just had the nagging feeling that if I was desperate enough to spend that money and invest that time, maybe I was desperate enough to give changing my eating one more try. It wasn't enough of a sentiment to cause change on it's own, but it's rattled a round in my brain and combined with the other motivations to lead me to where I am today.

Its been five days since I cut out a bunch of junk from my diet, and the change in my depression is noticeable. No, I'm not ready to run to my shrink and start cutting medications, but I am inspired to keep up with the changes!

2 comments:

  1. Mary Jo - I'm so inspired by your frankness, your open heart and your courage to express your full and real feelings as you navigate this path. 5 days with out the crutch food is AWESOME! Keep it up... I'm here with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Jo, you've been through some monumental struggles and I'm so happy you have noticed a positive change for all your hard work. You're an amazing person and I'm proud to call you my friend. I'm here with you too, friend!

    ReplyDelete