Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A pleasant result from a bad choice

So yesterday I had one of my food crutches. I was with my boys and something had happened that made me both mad and sad. Fighting back tears because of what had happened, I pulled into McDonald's and ordered a caramel frappe. This is one of my hot button items - a cornerstone of the four bad habits I'm trying to give up. I then took it home and escaped into it for the hour it took me to drink it.

In the past, this would've been enough to derail me from my plans of being more healthy and losing weight. It would have served as the first domino to get pushed over that then knocks down one domino (positive resolution) after another. Within two days I'd be back to everything I'm trying to give up.

This time I'm giving this slip the perspective it deserves. Its not the end of the world and it shouldn't be the end of my positive life changes. I simply had a caramel frappe in a moment of emotional frustration. I'm trying to treat myself more compassionately that I have in the past. I haven't beat myself up over this, haven't called myself a failure. If I were really going to look at the bright side, I might say the caramel frappe was actually a good thing because it gave me the chance to treat myself better than I have in the past. So while I'm not happy that I had one of the items I'm giving up, I am happy with how I've handled it.

1 comment:

  1. Go easy on yourself! It will definitely make things easier to stick with... ;)

    ReplyDelete